Friday, November 30, 2012

Sparks Flying...

Connect to OneSpark on FB!
I choose to spend my first night as a Jacksonvillian attending the One Spark Town Hall meeting. Seemed like a fitting way to jump into the fire and catch a spark of energy. Ya, being cliche, it's sorta fun to play with the fire metaphor, so I shall! And to be honest watching this lil spark working to create fire has been interesting to say the least.

I love to watch fires start and love to add fuel too. Knowing how and when to is the key. I hate to waste my energy, so I work hard to understand when my fuel is need or even wanted.

I attended some of the early meetings when it was called Epoch. Which were fun and highly conceptual. The team pulled together people and worked to create momentum. As it moved along, somehow the leadership team for it shifted and the name changed to One Spark. Still a bit of a mystery actually...

As the vision for the event evolved the team pulled together and began getting a bit more formal, which like all projects like this, is required so others can get on board. 

As I approached the always delightful Florida Theater, I could feel a bit of hopeful energy. It was fun to run in to a few friends who I would have imagined to be there. One of Jacksonsonville's fun creative couples Tiffany Manning and Ron Hubbard were as usual enjoying the air of inspiration. Al Leston creator of State of the ReUniion, with his delightful smiles and desire to add to the energy, spreading his good cheer via hugs! James Smith one of the Founders of the Kona School attended with his charming son Arthur. and the ever inspiring Wayne Wood. It was quite fun to see many of Jacksonville's creative class out and open to supporting this fun idea.

"We need you, the community, to help make this happen." Elton Rivas stated as he opened the session. The core team then shared status and then opened the floor to discussion and questions. The air in the room was a mix of excited, hopeful and a slight bit of hesitance. 

This is a big undertaking and I sense that the creative community that showed up to hear the status is in a bit of wait and see mode. Yet what the team really needs is to engage with us to get busy helping make it happen. I met the volunteer liason Melissa Adams, which was a delight! She has her work cut out for her!

As a creator, who has put my application in, I left with a bunch of questions in my mind as to the site match process as well as the process by which all that will happen. Yup this is the first time for this to be happening here in Jax, so yup lots of ambiguity to be dealt with. Ahh yess, part of the creative process. 

So I will stay tuned and figure out how to add my lil fuel to this fire that has HUGE potential!


2 comments:

  1. Love this, Florence. Thanks for coming out last night.

    -Inka

    ReplyDelete